How my first year of college prepared me for paddling the gulf coast


I get asked all the time, "Dude how'd you even train for this trip?" 

   Well the truth is I really didn't. I didn't touch my kayak until a week before I left, I didn't even paddle at all before the trip. I just kinda jumped into things, and after a few hops, skips and leaps here I am. 

 I was recently thinking about how since I left there hasn't been this big shift in thinking you normally get when you're on a trip. Usually when I set off on an excursion it's like everything slows down and you tune out the rest of the world. The past month has just seemed normal, just time passing by as I move place to place. 

 I figure I owe this lack of "shift" to the fact that I've been adapting to college and living away from home the past year. Everything has been constantly moving, changing schedules, changing places, meeting new people and running around on quick trips. There was always something new, and I've grown used to looking around every corner and finding a new experience every time. This trip is just another one. Pretty big one though. It's all been one big experience, with tons of little ones every day.

   After thinking for a bit I realized I've been training for this trip this whole recent school year! Think about it, living by myself, cooking and cleaning, creating my own schedule and just independence helped prepare me.  It's almost like the past year has just been one big trip and just time passing by as I move place to place. College is just one big experience, with tons of little ones every day. 

  Physically I also didn't train. I didn't even pick up a paddle. What I did do was surf 3-4 times a week, and sometimes bike almost 100 miles a week. Arms, core and cardio, important for surfing, biking and  kayaking. 


  Now this trip is not just about my state of mind and physical fitness, but there is a certain social aspect to this trip as well. College taught me to not be afraid to ask, to understand that the worst someone can do is say no. Months before my departure date was I constantly emailing companies in search of sponsors. A year or two ago I wouldn't be comfortable going places by myself and meeting new people, but now I've been crashing parties all down the west coast! Meeting new people, making friends, and working out deals has been key to the success of my trip so far. 

  So yes, I guess I did train for this trip. Not conventional training, but one way or another my experiences from my first of college prepared me for paddling Florida's gulf coast. Hopefully it will all be enough!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sailing to Suwannee! 

Bikes Bikes Bikes  

Paddling the Bay Area